RE: Pushrods and rocker pedestals

To: "'Sally or Dick Taylor'" <tr6taylor@webtv.net>, <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Pushrods and rocker pedestals
From: "Jim Swarthout" <jswarth1@tampabay.rr.com>
Date: Thu, 10 Jul 2003 00:00:02 -0400
Nick,

Your rockers will work!

I've never met Ted, but I'm certain that he offers a quality product.

Talk to him further about your installation problems.

If all else fails call me and I will personally come help you get them
installed!

Dick,

I don't want to open another can of worms; but please speak only from
direct experience! Others will likely spend countless hours chasing
their tails for nothing other than the supposed wisdom of someone's
thoughts and theories!!!

Nick---The area where the rocker pads, or rollers in your case, make
contact with the valve stem must go thru an arc when opening the valves.

Correct!

The more the valves open, the larger the arc.

Incorrect!!! The radius of the arc remains constant!

There is some geometry involved here that requires that the pedestals be
at a certain height before such movement takes place, so as to lessen
the amount of off-centering and side load placed on the valve stems and
their guides.

Shall I retrieve my crystal ball!!!, or would you care to elaborate
further?

(Rollers at the rocker ends would reduce the frictional wipe, of course)

Yes of course!!!

At this point I will defer to those whose business it is to supply a
more fitting solution.

Yes, excellent, Nick should call Ted!

Best regards,

Jim Swarthout