RE: Rough idle when warm

To: "Mark Martin" <markmartin@adelphia.net>, <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Rough idle when warm
From: "Stephen Hanselman" <tr6@kc4sw.com>
Date: Wed, 9 Jul 2003 07:48:43 -0700
Mark,

DO you have vacuum retard only on your car?  You didn't give the year of
your TR so it's an open question.  My '72 has only the retard unit(looks a
lot like an US type advance unit) if your vacuum lines feeding this are not
installed properly as the engine warms (ok, gets hot) the vacuum source
might be ve3nted keeping the retard from working properly, retarded timing =
slower idle.

Of course this really is a dance around what I'd do first which is re-build
the carbs (this assumes you haven't done that already).  I haven't had
problems with mine, so someone else might chime in, but the temperature
compensators might be sticking.  Again I haven't really figured out how they
work so I don't know if it would be stuck open or closed.  Look at the
Buckeye site (www.buckeyetriumphs.org)

hope this helps a bit

Steve
tr6@kc4sw.com