FW: Rough idle when warm

To: <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: FW: Rough idle when warm
From: "Mark Martin" <markmartin@adelphia.net>
Date: Wed, 9 Jul 2003 07:56:00 -0400
I'm a relatively new TR6 owner (last year) and need some advice.  The car
developed a slight miss last month so I checked the points, rotor, plugs,
etc and everything looked good.  I then cleaned the fuel filter and still, I
had just a slight miss.  Checked the timing and it was good.  I then checked
the dashpot oil and noticed one was low.  I had asked the PO what type oil
he used and it was simply Castrol GTX 20W50.  I added oil to the dashpot and
now I really have problems.  The car runs great when COLD.  Accelerates well
and no miss...however, when it gets to operating temp it begins to cut-out
and idles very rough.  I can't get the idle below 1200RPM without killing
the engine.  It's practically non-drivable when warm.  Also, the retard is
very slow.

Any thoughts?  I haven't adjusted the carbs yet as I've heard the horror
stories.  I have purchased an air flow meter and the Gunson's ColorTune.
However, before I start tuning the carbs should I look for something else?

Help...the weather is beautiful and I'm stuck the garage!!!!!!

Mark

[demime 0.99d.1 removed an attachment of type application/ms-tnef which had a
name of winmail.dat]