Re: limited slip assemblies

To: Jadewey211@cs.com
Subject: Re: limited slip assemblies
From: "SHANE Ingate" <hottr6@hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 20 Mar 2003 10:35:48 -0500
Jeff Dewey asked:

>While I have my differential apart for rebuilding I thought it wise to
>consider installing a limited slip assembly. The two I have heard of are
>the Quaife, and the Phantom Grip. The reputation of the Quaife speaks for
>itself. Has anyone had any experience with the Phantom Grip? Any thoughts,
>comments, or suggestions would be appreciated.

Vance is absolutely right; avaoid the Phantomn Grip like the plague.  It is
not well made
(requiring regular parts replacements) and still allows a lot of slip to the
undriven wheel.

The Quaife is infinitely better, though it is still not the best, as the
Quaife will also allow
a lot of slip.  The Salisbury LSD is the preferred solution, albeit they do
cost around $1200.

An LSD goes hand-in-hand with matched sway bars front and rear, and will
provide the most
significant enhancement of your car's handling capabilities.  I would argue
that it is a better
investment than good shocks, poly-bushings and springs, although if all done
together, will get
you to 99% of the perfect-handling TR6.

Shane Ingate in Maryland