Re: dial indicators - what should I look for?

To: skip@pobox.com, 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: dial indicators - what should I look for?
From: Mark Riddle <dunamis6@juno.com>
Date: Fri, 14 Mar 2003 17:52:49 -0500
Skip,
I'll give you my opinion, and there will definitely be others but...

I like a mechanical, it is easier to see "runout" , and interpret
direction.

It is very helpful to have at least 1/2" of travel.

Graduations of .001" are more than adequate for automotive purposes.

I am fond of my Mitutoyo gage, that has the ability to "zero" the reading
by rotating the shaft, not just by rotating the dial "face". This makes
it easy to set the gage in place, and zero without disturbing your
careful positioning.

A magnetic base is essential, get a decent one. They can be had for 15 to
30.

A good assortment of tips is not extensive, a spherical tip, a long flat
tip, and a small point, should cover most any "sitch".

Depending on where you look, a "good" gage can cost 150 or more, but you
could find it for less.

YMMV

Just my .02 worth, Cheers,

Mark Riddle