dial indicators - what should I look for?

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: dial indicators - what should I look for?
From: Skip Montanaro <skip@pobox.com>
Date: Fri, 14 Mar 2003 10:32:00 -0600
I've been reading through a lot of back issues of triumphs-digest and 6pack
messages (still have about 4500 to go), and all the discussion about worn
thrust washers, round cam lobes, etc, has me thinking I should invest in a
dial indicator, even if I don't intend to do any serious internal engine
work myself.  Can someone knowledgable on the subject expound on the basics
of dial indicators?  Some obvious questions come to my mind:

    * what's a useful range (or ranges) for measurements on and around our
      Triumph engines?

    * how is a dial indicator stabilized when performing measurements?

    * mechanical or electronic?

    * reasonable price?

    * accessories?

Thanks,