Re: Winter Engine Project

To: DarcyHunt@aol.com
Subject: Re: Winter Engine Project
From: "Shane Ingate" <madmax_xx@hotmail.com>
Date: Sun, 29 Dec 2002 21:06:52 -0500
Darcy Hunter wrote:

>I'm several years away financially and otherwise from pulling the engine.
>I'm looking down at that block, however, and am tempted to crawl under,
>drop the pan and push out the pistons to put on new rings.  I understand
>this is not the prefered approach but I want to hear from those that have
>tried this.  I would plan on putting standard size rings back in and
>probably honing with a fine hone to create slight cross hatch.

I'm not real knowledgeable in this area, but I think that if you want a
cast-iron
walled cylinder to survive several years, you need to bore it and use
over-sized
pistons.  If it is a thick steel-sleeved cylinder (which it is not), then
honing with
a dingle-berry and new rings should do just fine.

Shane Ingate in Maryland

STOP MORE SPAM with the new MSN 8 and get 3 months FREE*.