Re: Getting the head off the block

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Getting the head off the block
From: "lionel klotz" <trsixman@hotmail.com>
Date: Sat, 28 Dec 2002 21:21:36 -0500
Spent a few hours today taking the head off my 70 tr6 engine.  Have read
many methods of how to do this.  None worked.  Stuck on like crazy glue.
Anyway, my engine was mounted on my homemade engine stand, its strong and
allows me to turn the engine 360 degrees.  Unable to budge it i used my 2
ton chainfall to help.  I took the hook from my chainfall and put it in the
middle hole in the intake manifold.  It stayed in with out slipping out.  I
then raised the engine off the ground putting its full weight on the intake
manifold hole.  I then went around with a 2x4 and a large hammer and smacked
the head all around it.  No movement.  Changed the location of the hook
several times, front, back middle.  Whacked the living crap out of it using
my 2x4.  After 45 min.  It showed a bit of movement.  Keept doing it,
finally got it to move an inch.  Used penitrating oil on the studs, 4 would
not come out before I got the head off so I was left to leave them in while
making the separation.
Once the head started the move, I turned the engine over and started to
apply my 2x4 to the head only this time hitting down, it took another 30 to
get the head off.  The centre stud was well rusted and pitted.  I quess this
is what was holding me up.  I cant believe how stubborn this was.  I also
cant beleive that this could be done in the car.  There is no way my head
would have come off with out the banging from the bottom.
Hope this helps some one else.  As far as I know this method has not been
discused.  More civilized methods have been used.
lionel
73tr6