Old Distributor in newer car

To: <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: Old Distributor in newer car
From: <P.H.Z@12move.nl>
Date: Wed, 13 Feb 2002 15:43:32 +0100
Hello Everybody!

I read this on the internet:

 Here's a good used TR-250 or early TR6 Lucas Distributor, with specification
#41306B. Originally fitted to cars up to engine #CC58298 (sometime in 1971),
this is the odd-looking one with two vacuum diaphragms on it. One is the
traditional vacuum advance, and the other's a vacuum retard unit used as part
of the emission control system. HOWEVER! For the cars made after '71, this
unit can help you leave your smog-strangled ways behind. The post-'71 cars
didn't have the vacuum advance, and without that your part-throttle fuel
economy decreases and your car runs hotter, so the solution is to drop this
distributor into your later car, connect-up a vacuum advance, disconnect the
vacuum-retard if you feel like it, set the timing, and start to have a
"normal" Triumph again! This distributor is also a perfect companion piece to
a hotter cam, worked-over head, headers, and better carburetion - the usual
stuff for bringing your TR's performance up to where it should be.

Can anybody confirm this is a wise thing to do? I have a '74 with only the
retard vacuum. All my ather smog parts are removed from my car. Or would it be
enough to just disconnect the retard vacuum unit. Or is it maybe possible to
rebuild it to a advance unit?

Kind Regards,
Peter Zindel
'74 Tr6