RE: Front suspension rebuild

To: keith@navyboy.com (Keith Meinhold)
Subject: RE: Front suspension rebuild
From: tr6taylor@webtv.net (Sally or Dick Taylor)
Date: Sat, 26 Jan 2002 19:37:53 -0800 (PST)
Keith----I know it is written to use a (road) spring compressor to
unload the front springs, when it is necessary to relax the tension
stored here. I will only say that this can be done without such a
compressor when doing the following:

(After removing the front damper)
Cut a block of 2"x4"  to fit just INside the four bolts and nuts that
protrude from the bottom of the lower spring pan. Use a bottle-type jack
and center it in the block of the 2x4. Raise the jack enough to see that
the road spring has started to compress. You can now start taking off
the nuts that are holding the spring pan against the spring. Leave the
two inside studs in place, but lower the nuts way down. At some point
you will see that lowering of the bottle jack will free the spring from
tension, and can then be removed. Re-installation can be done by
reversing this proceedure. Works for me!

If this seems more than you're willing to chance, then by all means wait
for the compressor.

Dick