Front suspension rebuild

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: Front suspension rebuild
From: Keith Meinhold <keith@navyboy.com>
Date: Sat, 19 Jan 2002 11:42:12 -0800
After a little creaking (apparently a frozen ball joint) and as a result
what appears to be a cracked frame bracket, in the LF suspension, it is time
for a rebuild.  I took the car to a reliable shop and they quoted about $400
in parts and 12hrs labor @ $95HR to do it right on both sides.  Given SF
labor costs this is probably a fair figure, however, I am of limited means,
the possibility of being layed off and I would rather take the $1100 in
labor and put it into something else (carbs and ?).  Consequently, I may
take this job on myself.

I have been looking at the BPNW, VB and Moss catalogues and it seems to me,
since I would be doing it myself a $400 budget on parts would get me a lot
of iron components in addition to the rubber/nylon and extra stuff like
shocks and springs. (I understand a repair shops need to markup)

I would like to order all the parts before I start, even replacing what may
not actually require it.
  Here is what I figure I would order:
  Shocks Front ($50)
  Springs Front ($30)
  A-Arm kit upper ($10)
  A-Arm kit Lower ($50)
  Ball joint set ($30)
  Trunion (L&R) ($80)
  Tie rod set (inner & end, nylon bush, and springs) ($55)
  Sway bar link assy ($15)
  Tool: Spring compressor ($50)
  Book: Bentley shop manual ($55)

Is there anything else I should have on hand?

To do it right - what do I need to do?

Should I do it myself or leave it to the pros?
Up till now I have done all of the work on the car, however I have never
done suspension work before, but am somewhat mechanically competent.  (I
just put a new engine and trans in my Volvo 122, and never did that before
either).

I assume I would need to send the car out for an alignment afterward, an I
would also pay my neighbor (a retired welder for the city) to weld the
bracket.  Would I also need to have a machine shop do any work?

Any help is appreciated.

1976 TR6   CF53003U0

Keith Meinhold
66 Marston Avenue