RE: Buy/rbld. brake mast cyl?

To: six pack <6pack@autox.team.net>, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Buy/rbld. brake mast cyl?
From: Peter Zaborski <peterz@merak.com>
Date: Wed, 16 Jan 2002 18:39:23 -0700

Hi Bob,

Regarding Apple: What prices were you quoted by them? Looking at Apple's web
site I see $125 for a rebuilt brake MC
<http://www.applehydraulics.com/brakes.htm#ukmaster>. I don't see anything
about the TR6 servo. How much is a new brake MC? I see in an older Moss
catalog that it's $230. Admittedly that includes a reservoir (which the
Apple price does not) but that doesn't account for the entire difference.

Remember that the TR6 MC has a stepped bore, meaning that there are two
different sized sleeves they have to install. The brass sleeves they use are
supposedly better than the original metal the original MC uses for the
bores. They apparently have more resistance to the corrosion which
contributes to the need for a rebuild.

I have an Apple MC in my car and it has been trouble free since I installed
it three years ago (~12k miles). I also found Apple staff very easy to deal
with.

One thing to consider when getting a re-sleeved MC, ask if they re-sleeve to
the original bore size or if they make it bigger. I think the OEM size is a
little more. (I may be confusing this with the TR6 clutch MC from Apple).

Peter Zaborski  CF58310UO