RE: One more Hardtop question

To: Jim Davis <j_davis@clearchannel.com>
Subject: RE: One more Hardtop question
From: dstauffa@csc.com
Date: Wed, 16 Jan 2002 09:09:15 -0800
Jim,
Thanks for the e-mail.  I do have a question.  You wrote:

Dave and all,
Dave I respectfully disagree with how you think the rubber buffers are
adjusted for the hardtop. The hardtop instructions say to adjust the
buffers
so they touch the rear deck.

How do you adjust these rubber buffers - mine are secured to the hardtop by
a simple PH sheet metal screw.  I can see no apparent way to adjust these
other than inserting washers.

If you think about it, why else would they be
there? There are foam weatherstrip pieces and foam washers (that fit around
the pop rivets) on the underside of the hardtop that eliminate metal to
metal contact.

My top has the weatherstrip along the backside and two smaller strips the
run along the side covering the pop rivets - no foam washers.  When the top
is securly bolted down the rear edge of the top is about 1/2 inch above the
rear deck.

If the top is setting on the body properly and it is bolted down securely
both front and rear, especially by the two bolts under the back glass, the
top would surely strike the rear deck were it not for the rubber buffers. I
don't think the side bolts offer much stiffening.
On my car the hardtop transforms the handling of the car by stiffening the
body/frame. I hate to take it off for that reason, but I guess the sun and
wind in my face is more enjoyable than improved handling.
Jim Davis
Fortson, GA
CF38690UO
CF37325U