Re: Triple Webers

To: "Ryan Miles" <rjhmile@yahoo.com>, <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Triple Webers
From: "Jim Hill" <jrhill@chorus.net>
Date: Mon, 3 Sep 2001 20:14:40 -0500
Ryan Miles wrote:

>   I have a TR6 with a fresh engine that has a GP3 cam,
> 1.55 roller rockers, and 9.5:1 compression. I now want
> to add a third carb, be it Weber or ZS. My question is
> are any of you guys running the triple Webers, and do
> you like them? I'm up for some trouble with the
> initial tune in, but I don't want to have something
> that I have to constantly tune.

"Trouble with the initial tune in" but not having to "constantly tune" is
pretty much the definition of the main disadvantage and the main advantage
of having Webers - once they're set up, you don't need to fiddle with them
(absent a major elevation change :-)

In order to do that initial tune in, however, you need to know a LOT about
Webers, and you need access to a good selection of chokes, jets, emulsion
tubes, etc. Given the learning curve and the expense of assembling the
alternative parts (you'll need six of each, and you probably won't need to
use any of them again once you're properly tuned), it may make sense to have
an expert do the initial setup.

Jim Hill
Madison WI