Re: A type O/D

To: "James R. Holekamp" <jholekamp@attglobal.net>,
Subject: Re: A type O/D
From: "Kai M. Radicke" <kmr@pil.net>
Date: Tue, 14 Aug 2001 17:45:56 -0400
> increasing my knowledge & confidence before the fact.  I
> considered building a test stand and acquiring a pressure
> gauge to prove the unit before reinstalling - ended up doing
> it the hard way.

Not to detract from Nelson's fine work, but there is a far simpler and just
as effective method of testing your OD (and gearbox) than building a stand
and purchasing a large electric motor to turn it.

An electric drill will work fine, as will any air drill that does at least
1500RPM.  I made the tool from a piece of pipe, some nuts and bolts and an
old intake valve.  I actually prefer this method of testing as it drives the
gearbox via the input shaft instead of the tail shaft.

http://www.pil.net/~felix/tools/st0001-kmr.html

Easy, cost effective and very effective.

Although I haven't updated it, you can make an input shaft collar out of an
appropriately sized piece of copper tubing to prevent any marring of the
metal even though the input shaft is already hardened.

Kai