Re: SU HS6 emissions setup

To: <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: SU HS6 emissions setup
From: "Jerry Shaw" <jcs104@home.com>
Date: Fri, 3 Aug 2001 10:43:12 -0400
Dick and Brooks

Thanks for your inputs!

This carb set came off of either a TR3 or early TR4, and probably already
has the correct needles.

So here's the plan with a couple questions having to do with EGR valves and
retard behavior.

1) I'm taking off all of the cannister stuff, including the anti-run-on
switch and the radiator mounting bracket and putting it away, then taping
the switch connection and rerouting the gas tank hose to a convienient
non-vacuum place.
2) I'm going to route the valve cover vent hose through a PCV valve into one
of two holes in my intake manifold, which is the same manifold as for my
ZS's. I assume any PCV valve will suffice (Dick suggested an early TR6
version), and I think I need an easy-to-obtain brass fitting to do this, or
connect it to the cannister vacuum connection.
3) Now here's question #1. Do I remove the EGR valve? It had a connection to
the ZS's, as well as into one of the two manifold holes. I can just plug the
hole in my head (no jokes please), which leads to the exhaust stream, and
plug the intake manifold hole.
4) And here's question  #2. Do I just plug up the retard port on the
distributor, and how do I compensate for the lack thereof?  Brooks, you
mentioned  #55 hole on the throttle plate?  My distributor is the later
model with only centrifugal advance, and a retard vacuum diaphram unit.
According to Bentley, this connection retards ignition timing during
deceleration by opening a valve and applying vacuum to the distributor
through a ZS external mechanical linkage and valve. Is it possible to devise
a similar valve linkage for SUs? The ZS valve is pretty simple.

Okay, enough for now.

Thanks
Jerry Shaw
'74 TR6