Electronic Ignitions

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: Electronic Ignitions
From: David Friedlander <forzion@maine.rr.com>
Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2001 20:04:04 -0500
OK guys;

Dumb questions numbers 462-470. Didn't see anything posted to the VTR
TR6 Maintenance Handbook pages so I have to ask: Is the Crane electronic
ignition on a "par" with the Pertronix or is one significantly better
than the other? Also, when I replace the current ignition with an
electronic one shall I assume that the coil should be replaced with a
high energy version? Will standard wiring suffice for electronic
ignitions or are there known "weak links" in the TR6 wiring for high
voltage ignitions? Are there any other component changes I should
consider when going electronic? In a given engine, barring any other
changes, would spark plugs be gapped wider for electronic ignitions?

Dave