Re: idle problem and rising temp (additional question)

To: <RedTriumphTr6@aol.com>, <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: idle problem and rising temp (additional question)
From: Gary Moore <tikasfamily@earthlink.net>
Date: Fri, 28 Apr 2000 19:29:02 -0400
on 4/28/00 12:38 PM, RedTriumphTr6@aol.com at RedTriumphTr6@aol.com wrote:

> I thought of one more issue that I want you guy' thoughts on...should I
> purchase an electric fan to help with the temp problem?  Maybe the higher
> compression in my engine is somehow responsible for the rising temp at idle?
> If you think a fan would help, should I install it in front of or behind the
> radiator nearer to the engine?  (My car has air and part of the cooling unit
> is in front of the radiator so I think I may have a space problem?)  Also, I
> note two electric fans available; one is in the Moss catalog, while the other
> is in the recent catalog from BMH.  Is one preferred over the other, as the
> BMH fan suggests that I have to remove the original fan on my car...why? Or
> am I misreading what they state?  jTheir fan seems to be a 10" and is more
> adjustable over the temp trigger point (costs about $100 for the fan and $17
> for the thermostadt), while Moss offers the Hayden 12" fan for $140.  Any
> thoughts about which, if either, I should purchase?  Thanks!
> Bob Pierson

Bob,

I ahve an electric fan and assuming that you pick the right thermostat it
should help. Originally the thermostat was through the radiator core and
when that one failed (long - very messy story involving emissions testing) I
decided to put teh replacement in the upper rad hose. This is much easier to
repair if needed. My fan is a pulling unit behind the rad with the stock fan
removed.

Gary Moore
74 TR6
Ashburn, VA