Re: idle problem/rising temp

To: <RedTriumphTr6@aol.com>, <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: idle problem/rising temp
From: Gary Moore <tikasfamily@earthlink.net>
Date: Fri, 28 Apr 2000 19:25:28 -0400
on 4/28/00 11:32 AM, RedTriumphTr6@aol.com at RedTriumphTr6@aol.com wrote:

> Any one out there (Dick?) able to  advise me concerning the problem I
> currently am experiencing with my 74' idle and rising temp when at idle for
> about 60 seconds or so?  My car runs smoothly at any speed and at normal
> temperature (at the half way point on the temp guage).  However, even in 60
> degree outside air temps, when I go through a fast food restaurant and have
> to wait a few minutes, the idle drops from 850 to 650 to 500 and then the
> engine kills.  This rpm drop occurs as the temp rises.  My ZS carbs were
> inspected and rebuilt when the engine had a new cam installed and the heads
> milled to give me 9:5.1 compression in late 97, when the car was restored.  I
> did notice that my temp guage seemed to climb every so often after I had my
> mechanic adjust the valves after the first 1000 miles since the engine was
> worked on ( I was getting some tappet noise or what I will decribe as a
> "ticking sound" from the engine....it vanished after he adjusted the valves
> and tightened the head bolts.)  I have installed a new temp. sending unit
> (mounted near the thermostadt, and also cleaned my anti-run on cannister and
> installed a new valve.  I also have a new thermostadt to install....if you
> guys think that would help the temp. to be more stable at the 1/2 point, as
> it is when I drive the car in town or on the highway.  The car also now is at
> times making a "pop" out of the tailpipe about five seconds after I shut off
> the ignition, and it still does suffer from "run-on" about every three shut
> offs or so.  I have attempted to adjust the slow idle screws on both carbs to
> keep it from dying at idle, but this adjustment seems to only temporarily
> solve the problem.  New points and condensor were put in the distributor two
> months ago.  I thought points may need adjustment.  Any thoughts boys?   (I
> have read the driver manual and have seen the several suggestions for trouble
> shooting poor idle....don't really know where to start here, and I do not
> have the items I plan on acquiring:  Colortune, carb syncronizer, etc.)
> Bob Pierson

Bob,

I wish you lived down the street - I have the exact same situation. Even to
the RED 74 TR6. I do have a color tune and I have been able to get the
mixture adjusted on teh front ZS but am having trouble on teh rear. I have
installed a CRANE electronic ignition a few weeks back and the idle is
better since the new ignition and some adjusting but since then I have been
having progressively worse power issues on teh upper end. I do not know if
this is related to the the ignition system. I do not have the specs for the
crane 700 so I do not know if I should have the timing set different than
standard. Any advise would be appreciated.

Gary Moore
Ashburn, VA