zmagnette

Re: [Zmagnette] Paint <zmagnette@autox.team.net> <zmagnette.autox.team.n

To: List for the Z Magnette Group - North America <zmagnette@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Zmagnette] Paint <zmagnette@autox.team.net> <zmagnette.autox.team.net>
From: Steve Hanegan <steve@betterwitnesses.com>
Date: Wed, 25 Dec 2013 11:02:25 -0800

--Apple-Mail=_636AA7D4-41E0-4B2A-B00E-FE2FEE3A4DE0

Scott,

I would highly recommend that you consult with the manufacturer of the =
paint that you intend to use for your final color coat. Modern paints =
are designed to work together as a system and each manufacturer will =
have their own proprietary and tested processes and materials. I would =
stick to one manufacturer's solvents, cleaners, thinners as well.

All paint manufacturers that I know of will have some sort of etching or =
epoxy material to be laid down first to seal the metal and lay a =
foundation for an intermediate coating that can be sanded and used with =
glazes and fillers and such to refine the surface to remove any minute =
imperfections. This typically would be followed with a coat to seal this =
primer and provide the base for the final color and clear coats. Here is =
a link to PPG's newer systems as an example:

=
http://www.ppg.com/coatings/autooem/products/Pages/compactpaintsystems.asp=

Steve H.

On Dec 25, 2013, at 10:43 AM, Scott Woolman <scottewoolman@hotmail.com> =
wrote:

> At a risk of getting overwhelmed with opinions. Here is my question. =
My MG is down to metal  all rust and body is done. Should I use an =
acrylic etching primer then a sandable primer.=20
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/zmagnette/steve@betterwitnesses.com
>=20

--Apple-Mail=_636AA7D4-41E0-4B2A-B00E-FE2FEE3A4DE0

charset=3Dus-ascii"></head><body style=3D"word-wrap: break-word; =
-webkit-nbsp-mode: space; -webkit-line-break: after-white-space; =
with the manufacturer of the paint that you intend to use for your final =
color coat. Modern paints are designed to work together as a system and =
each manufacturer will have their own proprietary and tested processes =
and materials. I would stick to one manufacturer's solvents, cleaners, =
I know of will have some sort of etching or epoxy material to be laid =
down first to seal the metal and lay a foundation for an intermediate =
coating that can be sanded and used with glazes and fillers and such to =
refine the surface to remove any minute imperfections. This typically =
would be followed with a coat to seal this primer and provide the base =
for the final color and clear coats. Here is a link to PPG's newer =
href=3D"http://www.ppg.com/coatings/autooem/products/Pages/compactpaintsys=
tems.aspx">http://www.ppg.com/coatings/autooem/products/Pages/compactpaint=
Scott Woolman &lt;<a =
href=3D"mailto:scottewoolman@hotmail.com";>scottewoolman@hotmail.com</a>&gt=
; wrote:</div><br class=3D"Apple-interchange-newline"><blockquote =
type=3D"cite">At a risk of getting overwhelmed with opinions. Here is my =
question. My MG is down to metal &nbsp;all rust and body is done. Should =
I use an acrylic etching primer then a sandable primer. =
iPhone<br>_______________________________________________<br>Zmagnette =
mailing list<br><br>Donate: <a =
href=3D"http://www.team.net/donate.html";>http://www.team.net/donate.html</=
a><br>Archive: <a =
href=3D"http://www.team.net/archive";>http://www.team.net/archive</a><br>Fo=
rums: <a =
href=3D"http://www.team.net/forums";>http://www.team.net/forums</a><br>Unsu=
bscribe/Manage: <a =
href=3D"http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/zmagnette/steve@betterwitnes=
ses.com">http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/zmagnette/steve@betterwitne=

--Apple-Mail=_636AA7D4-41E0-4B2A-B00E-FE2FEE3A4DE0--