Re: Brake fluid damage to paint

To: Malcolm Cox <malcox@napanet.net>
Subject: Re: Brake fluid damage to paint
From: "W. R. Gibbons" <gibbons@northpole.med.uvm.edu>
Date: Mon, 22 Jul 1996 15:41:03 -0400 (EDT)
On Sun, 21 Jul 1996, Malcolm Cox wrote:

> I recently dumped a cupful of dot4 hydraulic fluid on the firewall area under
>the hood of my
> race MGA.  Not being able to remove all of it, especially in the nooks and
>crannies, the residue
> is slowly but surely eating it's way across any paint it can find.
>
> I am toying with washing any areas I can get to with kerosene, but if this
>stuff is not diluted
> enough, I fear this will spread the damage further. Further I am not sure
>what to do with 2
> gallons of kerosene on my driveway.
>
> Does any one know of any water soluble goops which will neutralize this
>stuff?

I'm going to risk a lot of flack by saying you should clean it off with
considerable care and not lose too much sleep over it.  I've spilled DOT4
brake fluid on paint, including some rustoleum I sprayed on the box that
holds the master cylinder, several times.  Each time, I've just wiped it
off and gone my merry way.  It has been several years now, and the paint
has not disappeared.  I have not tried brake fluid on lacquer; that might
be a different story.

I would suggest wiping all of it you can get off.  Then spritzer with a
good household cleaner like special green, then wash.  Repeat a time or
two, and I doubt you will have much problem.

                gibbons@northpole.med.uvm.edu  (802) 656-8910