tvr

TR spindle flex

To: "Dean Tetterton" <richtr@erols.com>
Subject: TR spindle flex
From: "jon" <jonaxt@pacifier.com>
Date: Tue, 8 Apr 2003 17:21:08 -0700
I've heard that Group 6 petitioned for permission to install larger (Jag?)
spindles. I've come up with an easier answer. I made a spacer that fits over
the spindle (is Triupmh the source of the word spindly?), between the
stationary portions of the inner and outer wheel bearings. the length of the
spacer is such that when you torque (50 ft lbs) the spindle nut, you've just
removed end play in the wheel hub. Effectively I've made the spindle larger
in diameter. The only way it can bend is for the spacer to lose contact with
the bearings. I believe that now the spindle no longer sees fatigue
stresses. Rather, it sees the constant and pure tensile stress imposed by
the amount of torque on the nut. Whatever, the problem disappeared. No more
mad brake pumping between the chicane and turn 4. The idea is, alas, not
original. Take a look at big Healeys and B's. Jon

///
///  tvr@autox.team.net mailing list
///