tvr

Re: TVR Brakes

To: jonaxt@pacifier.com, tvr@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: TVR Brakes
From: Rikrock@aol.com
Date: Tue, 8 Apr 2003 20:32:21 EDT
jonaxt@pacifier.com writes:

> Sent from the Internet
>

> Hi all, I'm new to the list. I have two TVR's.
>
> 1973 2500M, set up for Buick/Olds 215, currently not running.
>
> 1979 3000S, with 4.2l Rover engine and 5.0 Mustang MAF EFI, T5, 12"
> Wilwoods
> front and 300ZX disk brakes rear and side by side brake masters, 15"
> Compomotive MLs with Kumho Victoracers.  This is my play car and I've
> attended BMW track days at Portland (OR) International Raceway as well as
> other clubs' events. This car is a blast, well beyond my capabilities. I've
> never won the people's choice at the All British Field Meet, though last
> summer placed third in the giant slallom in the "Big bore other" class.
> Does
> anyone run sticky tires on their TR-6 suspended car and experience no brake
> pedal after hard turns?
>
> Yeah, I know, we're not to mess with our cars like I do. Maybe I won't be
> kicked off the list right away. Jon

Jon,

With all the high performance brake stuff you have installed, it is hard to
say for sure EXACTLY what is causing this problem.

 But it sounds to me like the front brake pads/caliper pistons are being
pushed back from the rotor.  There are at least a couple things that can
allow this to happen.  It could be that the caliper is not mounted properly.
It could be that the brake hydraulic system is not holding enough residual
pressure.

 It could be that you are getting enough flex in the front hubs in hard turns
to allow the rotor to "tilt" slightly, thereby pushing the pads/pistons away
from the rotor.  The TR front hubs are famous for this flex.  Some of the
road racers actually deal with this by using VERY SLIGHT, (just enough to get
the pistons/pads back where they belong, but not enough to slow the car)
left-foot braking on the straights!

It could also be that the rotors are not true, or that the  front wheel
bearings are a little loose, permitting this rotor "tilt"

I would check the bearings first..  Then check the rotors for runout.  Then
check the other stuff.

Rich Rock
Pottstown, PA

///