tvr

How to test gas gauge

To: TVRLIST <tvr@autox.team.net>
Subject: How to test gas gauge
From: Pat Leask <pleask@shaw.ca>
Date: Mon, 31 Dec 2001 14:16:31 -0800
Hi all, before you hit the sauce tonight.... <G>

By all tests my wiring and grounds are okay for my gas gauge not working in my
2500M. I fear it could be the gauge it's self.... how can I test this gauge ?

More info for you below if you wish....

Thanks, Pat

Here's the poop with car not running:

Batt "+" to Batt "-" is +8V I must have read this wrong.... (?)
Power IN to V Stabilizer +9V
Power OUT of V Stabilizer is +9V
>From one tab of the Fuel gauge to the other tab is 8.5V

The Green/Black wire from the tank sender to guage is OK (No breaks)
The sender is okay (it was tested prior to going in)
Ground from tank sender is ok
Ground from gauge nurl nut is okay

I hooked up the Multimeter to the tank sender and rocked the car and the needle
did not move.. not that I expected it to..... should it have ? I have about
half a tank full of gas

When power is on (I have a kill switch) the gas gauge SLOWLY creeps up to show
1/8 full at best when I have over half a tank for sure and stops

When use a Jaeger (Spelling ?) gauge from my old TR4 it does nothing
When I use a Jaeger gauge from my TR3 it pins the needle to over full

How can I test the SMITHS gauge to see if it is not working ? Perhaps THIS is
my problem ??

///
///  tvr@autox.team.net mailing list
///