RE: [TR] Gas tank cap assembly

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: [TR] Gas tank cap assembly
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Date: Sun, 25 Jun 2006 21:54:03 -0700
> Is only the chrome cap assembly above the body of the car, or is the metal
> extension also fitted from above?  If it's supposed to go underneath the body
> shell, how the heck does anyone manage to get it installed?  I've completely
> disassembled the fuel tank, tried installing it everywhichway.  Can't be done!
> ...well, until one does it and finds out that everyone else has been doing it
> since australeopithecenes ruled.

There are two different types, and I'm not sure when the changeover was (or even
if there was a 'clean' changeover).  With the early type, there is a piece that
goes only below the deck.  The secret with it is that you need to cut the rubber
hose shorter than it is supplied, so that it can slide down over the tank neck
and leave room to put the piece in, then slide up and be clamped onto both of
them.

With the later type, there is only a big nut that has to go between the rubber
hose and the deck.  The rest of the filler neck installs from the top.

Randall

===     http://www.vtr.org