RE: [TR] Apple Hydraulics question

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: [TR] Apple Hydraulics question
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Date: Mon, 19 Jun 2006 14:23:15 -0700
> Lockheed brakes and Lockheed Aircraft are different companies, although I
> think their founders were brothers (spelled Loughead and pronounced
> Lockheed, they adopted the phoenetic spelling).

Ok, you got me there.  I thought they started out as the same company, but
it turns out Loughead Aircraft went bust in 1921 and it was only Malcolm
that became the Lockheed Hydraulic brake company.  Allen Loughead later
deliberately used the same name to trade on his brother's good company name,
but they were separate companies.  (Good thing too, because Lockheed
Aircraft went bankrupt again just 2 years later.)  Allen wound up selling
real estate.

> Anyway, I have to call you on this one. I really doubt that Lockheed uses
> silicon brake fluid in their aircraft. Mil-H-5606 or Skydrol is my guess.

Possibly true, today.  But some years ago, I had a friend who was an Army
helicopter mechanic, and he said Lockheed helicopters used silicone (as did
all Army vehicles).  Perhaps they only did that for the "crazy" American
military, I don't know.

But I'll still bet that at least some of those vehicles were equipped with
Lockheed brakes, and silicone fluid.

Randall

===     http://www.vtr.org