RE: [TR] Apple Hydraulics question

To: "Triumph List" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: [TR] Apple Hydraulics question
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Date: Mon, 19 Jun 2006 10:59:19 -0700
>  Obviously, there are people using silicone with
> Apple rebuilt components anyway, but I doubt Apple will honor the
> warranty if they find you put synthetic in it.

This is true, and since warranty claims seem to be common with Apple's
components, I would never recommend using silicone in that situation.

Of course, I wouldn't recommend buying from someone that tries to blame
other factors for their own shortcomings, either.

>  I would assume Apple has some reason to caution people
> not to use synthetics in their master cylinders based on their
> experience.

Silicone is less viscous at room temperature (although since it changes
viscosity less than conventional fluid, conventional fluid is less viscous
at high temperatures).  Apple seems to feel this aggravates situations where
the piston is too tight in the bore and so sticks; or is too loose in the
bore and so leaks.  Of course they will deny that having the piston too
tight or too loose is their problem ... unless they can't find anywhere else
to point the finger.

As I understand it, Lockheed did at one time recommend against using
silicone fluid.  Then the US military specified that all of their vehicles
_would_ use silicone, and Lockheed suddenly decided it was just fine (their
aircraft use it today) ... but since it was not recommended (and hence not
tested) back when they made automotive brake systems, they aren't going to
change that recommendation now.  After all, it would cost them a good deal
of money to exercise what lawyers call "due diligence" in making such a
recommendation, and there is no benefit to them for doing so.

This is a factor that I think is far too often overlooked when evaluating a
manufacturer's recommendations ... they don't WANT you doing something that
makes their product last any longer than the warranty period.  After all, if
it lasted forever, you'd never buy another one and they would go out of
business.  This is known as "planned obsolescence", and it's a required
course at Harvard school of business.

Randall

===     http://www.vtr.org