Re: [TR] TR6 rear suspension 'grunch' - Help!

To: cartr4a@ameritech.net, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [TR] TR6 rear suspension 'grunch' - Help!
From: Dave1massey@cs.com
Date: Tue, 13 Jun 2006 07:45:30 EDT
In a message dated 6/12/2006 5:24:00 PM Central Standard Time,
cartr4a@ameritech.net writes:
> My TR-4A does the same thing.  I can't find anything wrong either, and I
> have replaced the diff mounts and the studs were fine.  I've been trying to
> figure this out for about 4 years now.  If while the car is on an incline and
> give it just a little push from the back while bouncing the back end up and
> down, the sound disappears.  I've never felt or heard the sound while
>driving.
>  Something must bind when the car is stationary, but it seems ok when
> moving.

My TR6 does this occasionally.  I witnessed a halfshaft "hop" when it
happened so I attributed it to the splines sticking.  Old grease may be the
culprit.

"Lanoway, Brian" <Brian_Lanoway@standardaero.com> wrote:
I've replaced almost everything in the rear suspension of my 1973 TR6
(trailing arm bushings, springs and caps, half-shafts, U-joints, rear hubs,
lever arm shocks, shock links and bushings) and I still have a strange,
frustrating "grunch" sound coming from my rear suspension when the car is
stationary and I push the rear of the car up and down.

Does this mean you have "NEW" half shafts?  Or were they serviced?
Separating the two halves, cleaning out the old grease (and accumulated crud)
and
repacking with fresh grease may help.

Dave

===     http://www.vtr.org