Re: [TR] the natural balance of straight six engines - why??

To: triumph66@gmail.com, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [TR] the natural balance of straight six engines - why??
From: Dave1massey@cs.com
Date: Fri, 2 Jun 2006 14:10:11 EDT
In a message dated 6/1/2006 6:50:50 PM Central Standard Time,
triumph66@gmail.com writes:
> What makes a straight six or V12 naturally balanced vs. I4s, V6s, and V8s.?
>
> TL
>
> <snip>  By the way, a straight six
> design is naturally balanced.  Same with a V12.  This cannot be said of
> V8's, V6's or 4's.

He's blowing smoke.  Inline fours have a single plane crank whereas the rest
of the ones listed do not.  Also, early V6's were V8's with two cylinders
lopped off.  This resulted in an uneven firing pattern (consider the
Harley-Davidson).  With the advent of the six throw cranks that issues was put
to rest.
V8's have a natural lope to it on each side but the sum total is a smooth, even
firing pattern.  But none of this constitutes a lack of natural balance that
is present in the inline sixes.

IOW, typical sales BS.

Dave

===     http://www.vtr.org