[TR] the natural balance of straight six engines - why??

To: triumphs <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: [TR] the natural balance of straight six engines - why??
From: Ted <triumph66@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 1 Jun 2006 19:46:36 -0400
Found the below quote interesting.

What makes a straight six or V12 naturally balanced vs. I4s, V6s, and V8s.?

TL

One car that has intrigued me for a while is the 1968 Triumph TR250 aka the
TR5 outside of the U.S.  These cars combine the body of the TR4A and the six
cylinder engine of the TR6.  They are somewhat rare and my client want list
has always had several people on it who invariably list their requirements
as, "TR250, must be British Racing Green and have wire wheels."  My standard
response is, "I'll enter your request in my data base but since I've never
had one in *any* color, don't hold your breath."  I like the look of the
TR4A and the idea of a smooth straight six.  By the way, a straight six
design is naturally balanced.  Same with a V12.  This cannot be said of
V8's, V6's or 4's.

===     http://www.vtr.org