RE: tie rod end removal 101

To: "Stephen Halkett" <Stephen@silex.com>, <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: tie rod end removal 101
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Date: Wed, 28 Dec 2005 16:44:34 -0800
> I have been removing the front suspension components but seem to have
> hit an unusual snag yesterday while disconnecting the (passenger side)
> steering rack. The outer tie rod end (steering rack) will not come out
> of the vertical link. I did back of the lock nut on the tie rod as well
> as remove the nut from the bottom of the tie rod - nothing.  It seems
> very snug .. is this a press fit? ...is it threaded in? I don't think so
> as the bently book indicated just three or four steps for this entire
> operation... the road spring is now off and there is no tension on the
> tie rod end at all as I was able to back out the rod....  I must be
> missing something or perhaps just a bit too shy to hit it (from the
> bottom) with a hammer.

The tie rod end uses a "locking taper" (as on most cars).  Once the taper is
locked, it takes a good deal of force to unlock it.  There are special tools
available to supply the force, for example
http://www.thetoolwarehouse.net/shop/TA-61900.html

Or another technique is to use two hammers to momentarily distort the
steering arm where the taper passes through it.  You'll need two fairly
heavy hammers (eg 2-4 pound "mini" sledges).  Hold one hammer against the
side of the arm, and give the other side a stout blow with the other hammer.
You may need to remove the brake rotor or other parts to get room for this
operation.

If worst comes to worst, you can unscrew the tie rod from the tie rod end,
and unbolt the steering lever from the vertical link, then work at the bench
to remove the tie rod end from the lever.

The factory manuals assume you are an experienced auto mechanic, so they
don't spell out things like this.  In fact, they're rather famous for making
difficult operations sound easy, and vice versa.  I've spent days getting
through a single step.

HTH
Randall

===     http://www.vtr.org