tie rod end removal 101

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: tie rod end removal 101
From: "Stephen Halkett" <Stephen@silex.com>
Date: Wed, 28 Dec 2005 18:06:34 -0500
Good Day All,

I am very new to this TR-stuff having just begun my odyssey (frame off
resto on my 76 TR6). This is my first post to the list and I would like
to express a collective thank you to you all for the insight and
experience you share...Thank you.

I have been removing the front suspension components but seem to have
hit an unusual snag yesterday while disconnecting the (passenger side)
steering rack. The outer tie rod end (steering rack) will not come out
of the vertical link. I did back of the lock nut on the tie rod as well
as remove the nut from the bottom of the tie rod - nothing.  It seems
very snug .. is this a press fit? ...is it threaded in? I don't think so
as the bently book indicated just three or four steps for this entire
operation... the road spring is now off and there is no tension on the
tie rod end at all as I was able to back out the rod....  I must be
missing something or perhaps just a bit too shy to hit it (from the
bottom) with a hammer. Btw..they are still the original stanpart tie rod
ends on the car..

Any and all advice welcome/thanks/ Stephen.

The car's current condition can be seen at
http://www.triumphowners.com/795

===     http://www.vtr.org