Re: TR3 transmission rebuild

To: "List" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: TR3 transmission rebuild
From: "Graham Stretch" <technical@iwnet.screaming.net>
Date: Sun, 4 Apr 2004 23:29:39 +0100
Hi Mike
As with most jobs on our cars, the nearest person who can do a superb job of
rebuilding a gearbox and overdrive is really near you, really really near,
get the picture yet, OK it is you!
There really is no magic in a gearbox, a bit of patience and improvisation
to remove the front circlip and you are away, don't forget to follow the
instructions on freeing the OD before starting to tear the box down.
Once you are in, you can replace as much or as little as you want / need to,
but with any and all reconditioners I know of they will replace as little as
possible to ensure a good profit margin, if a gear is serviceable but not
perfect you could change it they would re use it, chances are you would
never notice or know this was the case but unless you DIY you can not be
sure of what is re used or replaced.
This is not meant as any form of vendor bash, it is just working practice
unless you specify what you want changed you will get the minimum bearings
seals and gaskets and any obvious bits, you might not even get new synchro
rings as often the new ones are not as good as originals.

Graham.