Re: Fred's driving

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Fred's driving
From: Michael Hargreave Mawson <OC@46thFoot.com>
Date: Fri, 7 Feb 2003 18:33:51 +0000
On Fri, 7 Feb 2003, at around 11:55:33 local time, Dave Massey
<105671.471@compuserve.com> wrote:

>>An "A" road can be many things.   The A1(M), for example, is
>>indistinguishable from a motorway.   The A1 (same road, a bit further
>>north) is a four-lane highway (divided for most of its length) with cars
>entering and leaving the road both from side roads and via roundabouts
>>(it is great fun trying to turn across the traffic onto a side road when
>>there is a constant stream of traffic in both directions, averaging over
>>70 mph).
>
>Sounds much like the Federal and state highways over here with the varying
>standards and vintages underwhich they were built.

Of course, you have to bear in mind that many of our roads follow routes
that are well over 2000 years old.   The main A5 trunk road from London
to North Wales, for example, was built by the Romans ("What have the
Romans ever done for us?").   The road on which I live has followed the
same route for at least 3500 years...

>>I believe that it must have taken someone with the peculiar genius of a
>>Lewis Carroll to come up with the designations for British roads.
>
>Road systems seem to be the product of a deranged mind but in actuallity
>are the product of political committees.  (Oops, that's the same thing,
>isn't it?)

Yup!

ATB
--
Mike
Carly  - 1977 Inca Yellow Spitfire 1500 FH105671