Re: Fred's driving

To: Dave Massey <105671.471@compuserve.com>
Subject: Re: Fred's driving
From: "Michael D. Porter" <mporter@zianet.com>
Date: Wed, 05 Feb 2003 14:29:32 -0700
Cc: Randall Young <Ryoung@navcomtech.com>, "[unknown]" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Dave Massey wrote:

> Message text written by "Randall Young"
> >Curiously enough, even though I live in California, there is a roundabout
> near my home.  Almost universally vilified by everyone else, I rather like
> it. <
>
> When it comes to roundabouts (or traffic circles), folks fall into two
> camps:  Those who hate them and those who like them.  I have encountered
> the occasional roundabout (there is one on the north end of the Huey Long
> Bridge in New Orleans (rather across the river from New Orleans)) but until
> I drove in England, I never realized how efficient they are.  I love 'em.
>
> And driving on the other side is no problem as long as you are in traffic.
> Just follow the flow.  The only time I had trouble was when I was the only
> car on the road.

As some of the current MA folks will attest, there are a great many
rotaries still in Massachusetts, and, yes, they would be quite
efficient, if everyone followed the rules. Except, in Massachusetts, no
one seems to, so the effect is more like a `50s figure-eight demolition
derby than an orderly flow of traffic....

Cheers.

--
Michael D. Porter
Roswell, NM (yes, _that_ Roswell)

Don't let people drive you crazy when you know it's within walking
distance.