Re: Left Lane Bandits

To: Steven Newell <steven@cravetechnology.com>
Subject: Re: Left Lane Bandits
From: Joe Curry <spitlist@gte.net>
Date: Thu, 07 Jun 2001 11:41:51 -0700
Cc: Fred Marks <marks_fred@yahoo.com>, Triumph <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Since we are ranting, I'll throw in my 2 cents worth.

It is not a "God Given Right" to exceed the speed limit.  On that I agree,  But
neither is it a "God Given right" to take it upon oneself to control
traffic by driving the speed limit in the fast lane and expecting everyone
behind you to slow down to comply.

I think most fast lane violators do so out of ignorance rather than trying to
influence anyone's driving habits.  When I moved my Son back home from
Film school, I followed him home and he spent a lot of time in the fast lane
while people were attempting to pass him.  When I asked him why, he said
that he was never informed that the left lane was not for continuous driving.
I think he does it right now (at least I hope so, since he has to
compete with LA freeway traffic on a daily basis).

Yesterday, I witnessed a late model rice burner piloted by a youngster with hat
on backwards driving about 60 in the fast lane (75 mph speed limit).
I thought the semi coming up behind him was going to abbreviate the car before
he finally took the hint and moved over.

Maybe we should lobby the Drivers' Education schools and licensing agencies to
make sure the people are aware of this issue!

Joe