Re: Events for non-perfect cars

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Events for non-perfect cars
From: Kevin Rhodes <krhodes1@maine.rr.com>
Date: Mon, 12 Jun 2000 10:44:53 -0400
The ideal vehicle for this competition would be a mid eighties Ford Escort
(US Spec 1.9 EFI) - they had the most ridiculously over powered idle boost
I have ever encountered. I had one for a company car - that thing would
idle up my folk's STEEP driveway in fourth gear at walking pace! I am quite
certain that the idle boost was capable of applying nearly full throttle,
as long as the engine speed never went above idle - I could never stall it
without full pressure on the brakes. Horrible car, but they could do HUGE
mileages as long as you put it on in short order - we had three year old
examples with 350K on them! Bank Courier service.... They were DELIGHTFUL
to drive by that point - the company did not believe in replacing anything
unless it was a state safety inspection item... Looked brand new on the
outside though! And rear seat never sat in!

Kevin Rhodes
Portland, Maine