Re: I have a small bone to chew with the list

To: <Aribert_Neumann@magna.on.ca>
Subject: Re: I have a small bone to chew with the list
From: "Graham Stretch" <technical@iwnet.screaming.net>
Date: Wed, 5 Apr 2000 22:59:20 +0100charset="iso-8859-1"
Cc: "List Triumph" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Hi Aribert
Finally I put an angle indicator on the two driveshaft mating
> > flanges on the trans and the diff.  THe axis of both are pointed
> > downward (approx. 4 deg) when looking at the car in side view.  From
> > memory are not the two mating flanges required to be parallel (in other
> > word if one is down 4 deg then the opposite surface would have to be up
> > 4 deg)?

The theory here is pretty good but if you think about a live axle vehicle
and the twisting effect that they feel under accelerating / braking and they
don't generally have a vibration, also the Dolomite uses a two piece prop
shaft and has a pair of different angles to drive through and again no
vibes.

> > Last thought, I previously had a 3.27:1 diff and now I am running a
> > 4.11:1 ratio.  The driveline now has to spin approximately 25% faster to
> > achieve the same road speed - could it be that the vibration was there
> > all along but I never got up into that rotational speed?  Fastest that I
> > have ever driven the car (with the 3.27 diff) was in the low 80s mph.

Yes the vibes were probably there all along though the propshaft on a car
normally equiped with the 4.11 diff would regularly experience the
rotational speed that you are having problems with without having the vibes.

> > HELP (please)

Now to try and help you, you say you fitted new UJ's were the clips hard to
get in or do you have end float on the spider? the reason I ask is that
there has always been talk that Triumph used graded thicknesses of circlip
to aid balancing by moving the cruciform from side to side and also this
would have enabled them to minimise the end float on the joint. If you have
end float I would think that will be the cause of your problems as the
cruciform will be able to move off centre allowing the vibration. It is also
possible that there is a mismatch between the shaft and the flange. You
could also be right about the angular mismatch causing the vibration.
I hope this is of some use to you, I am sorry  to say that I wrote this in
response to your original request and when I had nearly finished it, the TV
card and Outlook Express decided they could not share the same desktop and
Hung up the machine, at which I Exclaimed B*&^%$£S and turned the machine
off. I am ashamed that I did not have the patience to sit and redo the
answer.

Graham.