Back from Antigua, only older Land Rovers

To: Triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Back from Antigua, only older Land Rovers
From: Gbouff1@aol.com
Date: Sun, 16 Jan 2000 15:07:27 EST
Arrived back from a much needed vacation and landed in Boston this morning,
only to be greeted by sub zero weather.  It's great to be back!!
Antigua was my first experience in a country that drives on the opposite side
from what we are used to in the USA.  My brake foot nearly stamped the floor
boards out of the taxi during the nighttime drive form the airport,
especially on right hand turns.  By the end of the week, I was able to
control my cringing.  The weird thing is that both left and right hand
vehicles share the road with the mix almost 50/50.  The best roads in Antigua
are terrible at best.  In St. John. the city road widths are narrower than
most drive ways, with curbs that are 1 to almost 3 ft high.  This made for
some interesting parking solutions.  Most vehicles are four wheel drive,
which accounts for a small population of Land Rovers (are you smiling Terri
Ann?).  Suzuki seemed to have the largest following with a lot of other Asian
marques represented along with a few Ford Rangers.  Some of the Asian
vehicles were weird, such as a four door  Dohatzu Mini/mini van that would
make an Austin Mini seem huge.  The road conditions would have long ago
pulverized any non Land Rover LBC that happened on these shores.
Antigua has some of the most beautiful beaches that I have ever seen and the
people are extremely friendly and helpful.  Definitely a great place to
vacation.

Gary Bouffard
59 TR3A