Re: Saloon Transmissions

Subject: Re: Saloon Transmissions
From: Randall <randallyoung@earthlink.net>
Date: Sun, 16 Jan 2000 11:53:48 -0800
Cc: Triumph List <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Tony :

I can verify that the speedo head was, in fact, different for the 4.10
rear end, because I have an apparently original speedo with a 1325
calibration in my car (unfortunately, I don't seem to have the 4.10 rear
end to go with it).

And, having kept an eye out for both for many years, I believe I can say
with some authority that 4.10 rear ends (especially to fit TR3s) are
much rarer than TR3s with overdrive, at least in the US.  Careful
reading of the factory literature shows that the 4.10 was available ONLY
if OD was also fitted, but OD was available without the 4.10.  In the
US, with our relatively high proportion of 'high speed' roads, the OD
made a lot more sense than the 4.10, even in the late '50s.

In fact, most of the 4.10 rear ends I've seen appear to have been
converted using gears from another model car.  I think this explains why
most cars with 4.10 gears seem to have 3.70 speedos.

Randall
59 TR3A TS39781LO daily driver
Lakewood, CA