Re: Gearbox Oil Seal

Subject: Re: Gearbox Oil Seal
From: Randall <randallyoung@earthlink.net>
Date: Sat, 15 Jan 2000 10:20:38 -0800
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
Michael :

I just replaced the apparently original front oil seal in my TR3 tranny
last month, and it had a ring of metal that was part of the seal, under
all that crumbly rubber.  I put the cover in the vise, drove a big
screwdriver in from the side, and pried the whole seal (well, what was
left of it) out.

ISTR I used a large socket to drive the new seal home, 1-7/16" seems to
fit.  A little Permatex or gasket shellac around the inside of the cover
will help prevent leaks at this point (and seal those nicks).  Mine went
in much easier than it came out.  Once the seal is in place, generously
grease the seal face with grease or assembly lube (I use CV joint
grease).  In lieu of the special tool, I wrapped the splines with duct
tape to protect the seal while installing the front cover.

BTW, I really like the "cross bolt" concept.  If you cannot locate the
necessary hardware locally, I can probably send you some.

Randall
59 TR3A daily driver