Re: #@&^#%# bonnet release!

To: Triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: #@&^#%# bonnet release!
From: Jerry Oliver <slantws@home.com>
Date: Tue, 22 Jun 1999 10:58:36 -0700
The List; I need advise on the bonnet release thing. Last fall I bent my
freshly painted hood of my 66 TR4A during installation. Since the car
wasn't finished, I put it aside until the weather warmed this spring.
During this last month I repainted the hood, and went to install it. It
lined up nicely, and things were going well until I installed the bonnet
release. Both pieces are new reproductions, with the safety hook. The
cable is new. I installed a safety cable (inner cable only) with a stop
additionally, just in case. I put the pin into the plate without the
hood, and it worked fine. A firm pop when released. The plunger bolt was
adjusted so the threads were even with top of the plate on the bracket
which holds the plunger. I then installed it on the hood, and both the
regular and the safety would not open the latch. In fact I pulled hard
enough to bung up the outer cable, and bend the safety cable. I had to
remove the bolts that attach the brackets to the car, and then from the
hood. Then, with the brackets released, the latch opened. I have great
fear about installing the latch again. Is there a starting point? The
manual says less spring pressure is obtained by unscrewing the plunger.
I've got it adjusted so no threads are exposed. Ideas? Jerry