FW: oil filter

To: "'triumphs@autox.team.net'" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: FW: oil filter
From: "Paige, Dean" <DPaige@ci.santa-rosa.ca.us>
Date: Thu, 10 Jun 1999 10:28:06 -0700charset="iso-8859-1"

Peter and Listers,

Not so sure about being less environmentally friendly. With the spin on, oil
changes are made blood simple on our LBC's. What difference does that make?
Even the biggest fool at a 10 minute oil change or quick lube can handle the
job. These establishments, in the U.S. anyway, send everything offsite for
recyle and that recycling includes the high grade steel that forms the spin
on's shell. Further most of these establishements will also accept waste oil
and filters for recycling if one insists on doing one's own oil
changes...same result environmentally. Personally, once I converted to the
spin on I never did another oil change myself on the TR-6 (except when I
removed the sump for one reason or another. When I can have someone else do
it for $25.00 and be sure that everything is handled in an environmentally
friendly manner it just makes sense to do so. Saves me dragging containers
of used oil and used filters to them for recycling anyway. Even more so
since I made an effort to get to know the managers and owner of my local 10
Penzoil Minute Oil Change here in Santa Rosa and let them know how important
the TR is to me and how much I appreciate the fact that they are a "Green
Business". They make sure I receive the best service possible. I drive the
car in and out and observe as the tech does the change, hard to screw up
removing and replacing a plumbing pipe plug from a steel sump and twisting
off and replacing a spin on. Its good for the business when other folks see
such a fine looking and "probably expensive" sports car utilizing their
facility. In case you doubt the "Green" designation, these guys are one of
the first of 130 or so vehicle repair services that have qualified for the
Sonoma Green Business Program, which my agency along with all other
pertinant Enviro agencies in our County have developed to give recognition
to local businesses that do their best to keep incredibly beautiful Sonoma
County just that.

Dean
Environmental Compliance Officer
City of Santa Rosa, CA