Re: TR-3,4: Generator whining, swap from 4 to 3

To: jfcowan@earthlink.net
Subject: Re: TR-3,4: Generator whining, swap from 4 to 3
From: KTRIUMPH@aol.com
Date: Thu, 12 Nov 1998 23:14:43 EST
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net

<<  The generator from my TR-3 is whining intermittently - possibly because
 the car repeatedly boiled over onto it before I fixed that problem.  I
 oiled the generator is as suggested in the routine maintenance guidelines
 and that may have helped a bit, but the problem is still there.
   1.  Do you think this is something to deal with ASAP or can I live with
 it for a while?
I almost always carry a spare with me on long hauls. Even if it goes you still
have enough juice in the battery to go for 50 miles or so w/o lights on.
   2.  Anyone see a problem substituting the generator from my non-running
 '66 TR-4A?  It's negative ground, so I'd have to swap leads on the TR-3's
 coil.
Polarize it and it should work. The wire leads may have different connectors.

Ken Nuelle
58 TR3A
62 TR3B
64 TR4