TR6: Afraid to Ask

To: <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: TR6: Afraid to Ask
From: Canada <canada@voyageronline.net>
Date: Thu, 12 Nov 98 23:34:51 -0500
How one thing does lead to another with these cars!

I started this week's work by replacing the front shocks.  Decided that
while the wheels were off the ground it would be a great time to put
those solid steering rack mounts on (thanks to all who answered
yesterday's question about plugging the hole in the rack.)  Encouraged by
success, I went for broke and decided to install the new poly bushings on
the front anti-sway bar, replacing the last pieces of original rubber on
the car.  Quickly learned that it's much easier to reinstall the bar with
the radiator out; and it really needs rodding and painting anyway, so out
it comes.

While draining the rad, 99.something percent of the fluid was a healthy
green.  The last few tablespoons, however, were a slightly more viscous
black.  Someone please tell me this is normal radiator grunge and not
oil, or share with me how to tell the difference.  It smells like coolant
but is pretty decidedly black.  If oil, what's the likely cause and what
are the consequences of running it for another 20k miles like this?

Oh yeah.  This is a 76 TR6 with about 50K original miles, fairly new to
me, and doesn't show any signs of abuse.  The DPO was even less
mechanically inclined then me & I doubt the cooling system's ever been
flushed.  It only burns oil for a few moments while warming up,
indicating--I've been told--bad valve guides.  Could the oil--if it is
oil--get into the coolant that way?  In all, it's probably used half a
quart in three months of running around.   Compression is fairly good at
125 to 135 per cylinder.  No oil on the plugs.  Car runs fairly strong &
I'd hoped to wait a year or two before rebuilding the engine.

Opinions and reassurances are welcome.

TIA

Ian CF57345U