Re: TR6 Solid Rack Mounts

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: TR6 Solid Rack Mounts
From: rgb@exact.com
Date: Sun, 27 Apr 11:24:51 1997
>TRF sells a special...
>It seems that the idea is to remove the side play that the stock mounts

My 2 cents is the stock mounts work fine if tightened with the factory
pre-load, what usually happens is someone loosens these, doesn't have
the tool and can never get them tight.  Some of my cars are fine, so
loose...

So as usual Moss, TRF, etc. try to make a buck selling you some solution
you don't need, never mentioning the fix is to tighten per spec with the
"tool" pictured in the manual.  With this rubber pre-loaded, I don't see
any movement possible.  If you hit a curb it should give a little, with
solid mounts, its time for a new steering rack.

Now for the "tool", heard you can hold the steering to put pressure on
these, but I haven't tried it.  Must be some simple way to compress the
rubber and re-tighten?

I've never seen the OEM rubber in anything but LIKE NEW condition, so
no need replacing, we just need the tool or some substitute.

Any ideas?

Roger