Re: TR6 Solid Rack Mounts

To: rgb@exact.com
Subject: Re: TR6 Solid Rack Mounts
From: jhdavis6@juno.com (James H. Davis, Jr.)
Date: Tue, 29 Apr 1997 05:37:10 EDT
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
>I've never seen the OEM rubber in anything but LIKE NEW condition, so
>no need replacing, we just need the tool or some substitute.
>
>Any ideas?
>Roger

Roger,
Got to (respectfully) disagree with you. Most every TR6 I've ever
checked with the OEM rack mounts had considerable rack movement. I just
removed the rack from CF37325U this weekend and you're right, the rubber
mounts LOOK great, having never seen the light of day in 22yrs. Prior to
being removed however, the rack moved all over the place and showed no
evidence of having been tampered with  since coming to these shores. My
guess is that the  OEM rubber mounts shrink under compression after time
like all other rubber suspension pieces. Install some new rubber end link
bushings and remove them in 30 days. They shrink and reform themselves to
their compressed state.  Urethane mounts, which I'm installing with a
rebuilt rack, should solve the rack movement problem, yet provide some
isolation from road noise and vibration.
Still on the rack,
Jim Davis
Fortson, GA
'75 TR6  CF38690UO