Re: triumph problem

To: Macbagpipe@aol.com, triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: triumph problem
From: token@ridgecrest.ca.us
Date: Sun, 27 Apr 1997 09:14:13 -0800
Posted-date: Sun, 27 Apr 1997 09:10:39 -0700 (PDT)
On Sat, 26 Apr 1997 Macbagpipe@aol.com wrote:

> I've had a poblem for some time, my 80 spit has been garaged for a number of
> years because the average mechanic can't find the problem. I seem to have an
> electrical problem,(perhaps a resistor wire), or a fuel problem (vapour
> lock), but I don't know the fix.
> It'll run fine until it's warm then it will just die on me, anyone else have
> this problem diagnosed?

Sounds like the electronic ignition to me.  Does the tachometer just "die",
even before the engine has a chance to spool down?  This would be a definite
indication of some kind of ignition trouble.  And the Lucas module in my
1979 Spit would quite about every 38,000 miles, almost on the money.
I modified the system to use a Chrysler module, not very original but
only $18.00 at a local parts store.

Later

Darrell Leach,   KD6LRC   DM-15,   Ridgecrest, Ca
email: token@owens.ridgecrest.ca.us
   or: darrell_leach-mti@echo.chinalake.navy.mil
1962 TR-4 (CT5368LO)   28,000 miles
1965 Spitfire Mk 2 (FC51603L)
1967 Spitfire Mk 3 (FD2980LO)   in work
1984 GL1200A GoldWing   128,000 miles  (go figure)