Re: where to get carpet underlayment?

To: "Jon Moody (BME)" <mood@rad.unc.edu>, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: where to get carpet underlayment?
From: "Doug Mitchell" <dmitchel@ford.com>
Date: Thu, 2 May 1996 13:42:11 -0400 "where to get carpet underlayment?" (May 1, 9:48am)
> Subject: where to get carpet underlayment?
>
> Hi all,
>
> I was at home depot last night looking for some heat shield stuff to put
under
> my carpets.  No luck.  I'm looking for suggestions as to what to use and
> where to get it(hopefully locally).  Thanks.
>
> Jon Moody '73TR6
>

>-- End of excerpt from Jon Moody (BME)

Jon,

I know that you have already received some suggestions, but I have one
more for you.

At the SAE (Society of Automotive Engineers) show in Detroit this
past winter, I ran across a company called ATD Corporation. They
displayed some heat shield material called Thermsulate. They have
several different products for insulation. There is one that is
two layers of stainless with an air barrier, a similar product in
aluminium, and a third which is of most interest to us. The third
is called Thermsulate 3500, and is a sandwich of aluminium, polyester,
and a fiber. This third one seems to be fairly pliable, and I asked
the vendor about an aftermarket kit. He said that although there
isn't any real plan to market it, he does supply a kit for about
$70 which although meant for a racer, should be more than enough for
a Brit car.

If you are interested, e-mail me and I will dig up a contact number.

As is usual, all disclaimers apply, I have no connections, etc....

Doug Mitchell