RE: TR-6 conversion

To: gschneid@nicmad.nicolet.com
Subject: RE: TR-6 conversion
From: "Randell Jesup" <jesup@scala.scala.com>
Date: Wed, 26 Apr 95 20:02:00 EDT
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net

>Lee Daniels wrote:
>>Some of you may recall my post of a couple of years ago regarding my
>>finding a TR-6 housing a turbocharged 4 out of a Merkur XR4ti.
>
>Ohmigod! I have an Xr4ti and I love my TR6 for the stump-pulling torque of
>the six. The Merkur is hard work to drive fast with no torque and no power
>until the turbo spools up. Our Nissan Stanza can beat it off the line
>unless I'm abusive with it. (I have to think of it more as a GT touring car
>'cause it ain't no sports car).

        Wierd.  I recently bought an '85 XR4Ti to replace my old CRX, and
I've had a '70 TR6 for 6 years.  VERY different cars to drive.  You _really_
have to stay on the revs to go fast in the Merkur (but it is fast when you do).
It's also got serious autobahn gearing.  Now if only its fuel/temp gauges
would work, and the tach would stop sticking....

        Getting in the TR6 after driving the Merkur is very wierd.  The trans
throw is sooo much shorter, you sit soooo much lower, etc, and you can drive
down to 1000-1500 rpm, instead of it dying below 2500/3000.

        I wonder why there's such a large number of TR6/XR4Ti owners?

--
Randell Jesup, Scala US R&D
Randell.Jesup@scala.com